Monday, December 15, 2014

toffee makes people smile

I make toffee every year at Christmas time.  I have never made toffee with tornado sirens singing in the back ground (usually its Frank Sinatra or Mariah Carey singing songs of Christmas time...) Yesterday, that all changed.  Tornados scare me a lot and I can typically only think about how many steps I am from the shelter in our garage when I hear that siren.  HOWEVER, yesterday, I had sugar and butter bubbling away on the stove, and there was no chance I was walking away.  We survived the twister in December, but I cant say so much for the toffee.  I was distracted by the panicked children and the fellow in the television spitting out locations and times for the impending storm and I pulled the sugar/butter goodness off too soon.  Don't be like me. No matter what else is going on-let it finish cooking. Your toffee eaters will thank you.  The picture here is of good toffee. Not the under-cooked kind.  Make this. Make people happy.
 
 
Toffee!!
what you need: 9x13 dish lined in foil, medium sauce pan, wooden spoon, candy thermometer (optional)
 
 
equal parts butter, sugar, chocolate chips -- I use 2 cups of each for this batch
 
the chopped nuts on top are optional, but I advise that you use them always.
 
In a medium sauce pan, over medium heat, melt the 2 cups (4 sticks) of butter.  Add 2 cups of sugar and stir often.  Let this cook WAY longer than you think you should (25-40 minutes... I know that's a lot of difference, it just takes longer sometimes. I don't know why.) The color will be a rich brown and will be just past the foaming like its going to take over the world stage.  If you are using a candy thermometer, let it get to 300 degrees.  Pour that lovely mixture in to a 9x13 pan and pour on 2 cups (1 bag) of semi-sweet chocolate chips as evenly as you can.  Use good chocolate, it makes a difference. Believe me, I know chocolate.  Top with chopped pecans. Use salted pecans if you want to be real fancy like me. (I'm so fancy)  Let this creation harden in the fridge for a few hours.  Break it up and deliver it to the people you love. Maybe even take it down to the group hiding out in your storm shelter, if you're feeling benevolent.


No comments:

Post a Comment