Tuesday, January 27, 2015

B-O-S..... B-O-S-S.... boss

I don't eat lettuce. Well, I don't eat iceberg lettuce.  I can't even handle the smell.  For those of you who doubt that iceberg lettuce has a distinct smell, get pregnant and take a whiff. Seriously. I can't. (excuse me) 

Now that that is out of the way....
I really do like salad (sans iceberg, mind you).  It had been close to 20 years since I'd enjoyed this particular salad and that's too long.  There was a boy I dated long ago and his mom (whom I adore) made this lovely layered. I can't believe I forgot about it. 
When I think of salad, I generally expect low calorie and at least sort of healthy.  -- Well this is healthy.  -If we are going to consider an entire pound of bacon thats topping  a salad dressed in mayo and sugar 'healthy'.  (and I am)
Sometimes folks like to have a side salad or a bit of greenery on their plate.  Unless you are at a pot-luck, this ain't that salad y'all.  (I don't say 'ain't' unless its absolutely necessary.)

This can be constructed in a trifle dish; its just that pretty.  However, I'm a little bit of a klutz so I like to prepare it in a casserole dish so that I don't end up with salad from hither to yon.  I don't know if it has a name, so I'm just going to name it, mmmkay?  I like to be the boss.



Maybe My Favorite Salad In the History of Ever
what you need: 9x13 casserole dish (or trifle if you're brave), serving tongs, knife and cutting board, sauce pan with boiling water, medium sized skillet

4 eggs
4 cups salad mix (I like the baby greens, personally)
1 head broccoli, chopped
1 head cauliflower, chopped
1 1/2 Cups frozen peas
1 lb bacon
2 Cups shredded cheddar (or run a block of  cheddar through a food processor like me)
1 1/2 Cups mayonnaise
1/2 Cup white sugar

In the sauce pan with boiling water, boil the eggs for 12 minutes, then transfer to ice water.  Allow the eggs to cool.  Cut bacon into 1 inch-ish pieces and toss them in to a skillet on medium-high heat.  Let those guys cook up and get crispy, about 15 minutes, stirring and turning every few minutes. When the bacon is nice and crispy, set it on a paper towel and get rid of some of that grease. Chop the broccoli and cauliflower into small pieces - as small as you like. Your eggs should be cooled off by now, peel them and give them a rough chop. Begin layering in your dish of choice.  I started with the mixed greens and then layered so that the colors alternated so the layers were more visible. I'm weird that way, ok?  It really doesn't matter. The part that matters, if you are serving this immediately, is that you put the hot bacon on top of the frozen peas - no body wants pea flavored ice cubes. (am I right?) And that the dressing  (mixed in a small bowl - the mayo and sugar) goes on top.
Ok, so here's how I would do it; mixed greens, cauliflower, broccoli, cheddar, peas, bacon, dressing.

This whole thing is stressing me out - because I want you to get the colors right.  I need order in my life, and so do you. And you need to eat this. 

PS... use real bacon. Please. Its healthy.

1 comment: