Monday, January 12, 2015

Order Up!

When using obscure things like tarragon, its good to have order.  Ok, I don't know of a time when its not good to have order, but anyway, just go with it. 
My spice cabinet is in alphabetical order and I sort of freak out when things get moved around.  I need order. Particularly on days when I have a melt-down at the store.  (completely hypothetically....) Say, for example, that I waited later than usual to go to the grocery store.  Then, lets say, maybe I decided not to bring a list because I was just grabbing a few things for dinner and for the kids' lunches.  --which is totally out of my comfort zone, since my list is typically made according to the menu of the week with required items listed in the order in which they appear, beginning with produce and ending with dairy.  Always.  Except when its not. Lets say that maybe the store is so freaking crowded that there are no grocery baskets. (I should have left, but I was feeling brave.)  This means that I must only purchase the items that I can carry.  (I
can't breathe... hypothetically) I would start walking through the stupidly crowded store aimlessly, trying to remember what in the world I was there for.  This is when experience would kick in.  There are recipes that I have made a million times and I don't even have to think about them.  --that's a good thing since I don't even know my name by this point -I would assume. Hypothetically.
Typically, I make chicken salad in the summer time.  So what. Desperate times....
Ok, so here you go. Chicken salad in January.




Chicken Salad
what you need: mixing bowl, can opener, knife, cutting board, spoon

2 (12.5 oz) cans of chicken
1 Fuji apple, diced
1 C red seedless grapes, halved
1/4 C celery, diced
1/2 C pecans, chopped
1/3 C mayo
1 teaspoon tarragon
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

bread or croissants

Open and drain the cans of chicken. Break up the pieces so it looks more shredded than chunked. Cut up the apple, grapes, celery, pecans and transfer them to the mixing bowl, stirring around carefully.  Add mayo and seasoning and mix together well.  This will make about 8 sandwiches, and its easy to half or double as needed.  When you need something that comes together quickly, this fantastic little number will save the day. (it saved me in my hypothetical story, anyway....)

No comments:

Post a Comment