Friday, January 9, 2015

Wrap it up

A hundred years ago, when I was a bank teller, I met a super-cool lady named Judy.  She worked at the same bank, but I don't remember what her job was.  (it was a hundred years ago) Every once in a while, we would have a pot-luck lunch and everyone would bring lunch so we would all eat together in the teeny tiny break room.  We were a close group.  Any time we had the opportunity to eat together, we would ask Judy to make burritos.  No matter what the theme of the day was, Judy made burritos.  I love the way food makes me think of people. Its the same way fragrances can transport me in time.  These will always be Judy's Burritos for me. You can call them whatever you want, you don't know Judy, so it doesn't matter. 
For my family of four, I make the whole recipe and serve the burritos alongside Mexican rice - and then I still have half of the batch to freeze and save for another day. Its perfect. (probably won't work that way when my kids are older and hungrier, but I'll take what I can get)



Judy's Burritos
what you need: medium sized skillet, wooden spoon, large mixing bowl, 9x13 baking dish, 350 oven, foil

1 - 1 1/2lb ground beef
1 (16 oz) can refried beans (or you can make them yourself if you have that kind of time)
1 jar (3 cups) Pace Picante sauce (only use 2 Cups for the filling, reserve 1 Cup for the topping)
2 Cups shredded cheddar - plus more for topping
8 burrito sized flour tortillas

In a medium sized skillet, brown the ground beef over medium-high heat.  Rinse the grease off with warm water -- make sure to drain out all the water.  Transfer the meat to your mixing bowl and add the refried beans, picante sauce and cheese. --if you feel moved to add more cheese I don't think you will regret it.  Mix this all around so its friendly and mingled together.  Spoon about a cup of the filling you just prepared into a tortilla.  As for the placement of this filling, I'd say make a line running the length of the tortilla just an inch or two off center, leaving about half an inch on each end so you can fold the tortilla over and tuck it in as you roll that baby up.  Place the burritos in your 9x13 dish as you get each one finished.  You will have a very tight fit when you get all 8 burritos snuggled up in that pan.  Cover the dish with foil and bake at 350 for an hour. When you serve them, spoon a bit of picante sauce over each one and top with cheese.  Seriously.  These guys are super tasty, super easy and super filling. If you want to kick 'em up, add some taco seasoning to your meat and top 'em with sour cream or guacamole. 

Also- if you want to maintain your friendships, you might want to keep some gas pills handy. Just a word to the wise.  Have a nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment