Friday, November 21, 2014

Butta.

I didn't grow up eating butter. I was a sad child. I have vague memories of Molly McButter, I Can't Believe its Not Butter, margarine tubs, and even the occasional spray butter. I have done my best to suppress these memories and move past them. Today, I buy butter at least two pounds at a time, just to be sure I'm a successful cook.  (and because I have a fear that I might run out.) 
There was a conversation a few years ago about the cost of groceries going up and our strategies changing as we peruse the produce and check out the chips.  Butter, however, is immune to this money saving strategy. My mother-in-law said, in this same conversation, "we still use butter like its free."  She is a wise and wonderful woman, who I admire for her generous use of butter (among other things.) 
Now, as you all know, the holiday season is upon us and there will be much cooking and smacking of lips.  On every respectable holiday table, there is a prized spot for dinner rolls. We like carbs around here and we like fluffy yeasty buns of happiness to carry those carbs through to our... buns. SO let's take it one step further and add some cinnamon butter, y'all. Nothing's gonna stop us now.


Cinnamon butter
what you need: hand mixer and a mixing bowl OR a stand mixer with a paddle attachment
wax paper or small jars (optional)

1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon sugar

Ok, ready? Drop the softened stick of butter in the bowl. Add cinnamon and sugar. Whip it. Whip it good.

You can serve it at room temp, or wrap it up in wax paper or scoop it in to a little jar and put it in the fridge for later.

One more thing: you can do this with herbs, too, if you want. Garlic would also be fantastic. ...or honey...
If you want to be fancy, you could pipe the softened butter through a pastry tip and make cutie little butters in single servings.  I just wanted to eat it, I didn't really care what it looked like. You can add this kicked up butter to whatever you want - sweet potatoes, steak, toast, waffles... anything in the world. It just makes everything butter. uh, better.  bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment