Friday, November 14, 2014

Sconey Mahoney

There was a time when I was afraid of baking. In fact, I wouldn't do it at all. There's too much chemistry. There's too much room for error. And I was chicken. Then the day came when I decided I would conquer my fears and proclaim IM NOT AFRAID ANYMORE! ...And I never looked back.
These scones are one of the favorites around my house and they're easy to adapt to the flavor of your choice by altering the dry fruit and the yogurt. Try em out- you'll be glad you did. 

Cranberry-orange scones
What you need: 
Stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or hand mixer and mixing bowl, baking sheet, oven heated to 375

4 tablespoons cold butter
1/2 Cup sugar
2 Cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 Cup orange yogurt
1 Cup dried cranberries

Cream butter and sugar. Add dry ingredients and mix just til combined. Fold in yogurt and cranberries, then turn out on to the baking sheet. Press into a rectangle that's about 3/4 inch thick. Make cuts through the dough to create scones that end up being 2 inch squares. Bake 25 minutes and sprinkle with sugar while they're really hot. Cut the squares again, they grow together like the cake in Alice in Wonderland. These guys are really moist- I usually let them dry out for a while before serving.  Feel free to replace the orange yogurt with lemon and the cranberries with dry blueberries. If you like a bolder citrus flavor zest a bit of orange (or lemon, as the case may be) and toss it right in when you add the yogurt. Just do it. Make these. Don't be afraid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment