Wednesday, November 26, 2014

HOT DISH! Monica Schmidt


For Mother’s Day, I received several products made by Monica Schmidt, my favorite farm girl at Autumn Blaze Farm.  When I first met Monica a few years ago, she was going to school, teaching school and a busy wife and mom, balancing everybody’s activities.     Monica is married to Brian, and has been for the past 14 years.  They have a houseful with 2 lovely children, 4 dogs, a cat, chickens and goats…. Coming soon: bees! 
 
 

I remember when Brian started building homes for the chickens they hoped to raise, and I was impressed with his skill as well as with Monica’s commitment to keep the chickens. (I would probably have empty chicken houses because I would have decided its too much work.)  Monica talks about their journey like this: “I convinced my husband in to keeping chickens.  After a few years of keeping happy healthy chickens, we decided to take farm life a step further and venture into raising miniature dairy goats, called Nigerian Dwarf Goats.  I have always joked that, “chicken keeping is the gateway farm animal!”” She added, “We also love eating fresh fruit and veggies from our garden and soon we will have bees and sell our honey!”

 Now, their daughter enjoys showing the goats at different jackpot shows as well as training them to do therapy work.  Monica started making goat milk soap for their son to soothe eczema because goat milk soap is very nourishing for the skin. – she has also made facial scrubs (which I LOVE) and other bath products that are so fantastic, and I can’t even believe she made all of this!

If you ask her, Monica will tell you that she feels like she is living the dream of chicken keeping, milking and showing goats, growing veggies, and making all sorts of natural products from our funny farm!  I guess you can say, I’m a wanna-be farm girl!  (I say she is a farm girl)

You can learn more about the goings on at Autumn Blaze Farm and check out Monica’s adventures here.

I can’t wait to see what she dreams up next!

No comments:

Post a Comment