Wednesday, November 19, 2014

My Comfort Food

ok, so, in truth, there are a lot of things that fall in to the "comfort food" category in my life.  This is one that makes an appearance on my table any time of the day.  My kids love it, I love it, my husband loves it... all around winner.  It isn't pretty. I don't care. I eat ugly food. And I like it. I even break the rules for this one: I will order it at a restaurant. --but it has to be a real Mexican restaurant. Not white people Mexican food. (can I say that?) Anyways. here. Chorizo and eggs with corn tortillas. Pork chorizo, please. Yes, there is a difference. Warm tortillas. There's nothing fancy at all about this stuff. It comes together quickly and there is minimal clean up- which I like. As the cook, server, dishwasher, I appreciate qualities like these. You will also appreciate the cost of this little meal. I can feed my family of 4 for about $12 when I serve this alongside some black beans and rice. -Told ya: all around winner. 

Chorizo and Eggs
what you need: 1 medium skillet, wooden or plastic spoon/spatula, 1 small skillet, tongs, mixing bowl, fork or whisk

1 (9oz) pork chorizo
6 eggs, whisked
corn tortillas

In a medium sized skillet, over medium-high heat, cook the chorizo for about 8 minutes stirring frequently.  *there is a lot of oil. fall in love with it.* the color of the chorizo doesn't really change when its cooking, just take my word for it and watch the texture change.  When the texture looks more like cooked ground beef, (and its been 8 minutes or so) add in the whisked eggs. Stir them around pretty much without ceasing until they come together looking like scrambled eggs... with chorizo in them. While they are cooking, heat up the smaller skillet over medium heat and toss the tortillas one at a time to warm on both sides. Fold the tortillas up in little cute triangles and serve it up. I like to use my tortilla as a vehicle to get the chorizo and eggs to my mouth without a fork or spoon, but you do what you feel is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment