Tuesday, September 9, 2014

a tricky tip

I don't remember where I learned this, and I don't remember how I did it before, but I know that this is a new(ish) technique for me and I want you to know about it. 

I was sitting at the breakfast table with my grandma and she told my kids that she had another Jerusalem melon ready in the fridge.  They happily retrieved said melon and returned to the table a little daunted. It had not been cut up. There it was, in its juicy, sweet glory, and they couldn't even eat it.  I quietly asked them to bring a bowl, a spoon and a knife so I could prepare it for them.  (Quietly, because I didn't want to disturb the dramatic story being told from across the table.)
As instructed, my daughter brought the bowl and the knife.  With anxious eyes - and watering mouths, no doubt, the two strawberry blonde children watched and waited.  I don't think they even realized that grandma was still talking at this point. 

Carefully, I scooped the seeds out with the spoon and proceeded to section off a slice of juicy goodness.  I removed a section about one inch wide, and then began making cuts across the section which resembled the grin of the Cheshire cat.  With one masterful swoop of my knife, I separated those cut pieces from the rind and landed them in a bowl to be enjoyed by the patient on-lookers.

I noticed that my grandma was watching, too. I don't know if she was nervous about my knife wielding or if she was just as hungry as the kids, but she was checking me out.  I have decided that she was probably watching in amazement and trying to record in her memory exactly what I had done so that some day she could do the same.  I'm just glad she has me here to help.

 Here's a picture tutorial in case you, too, want to try your hand at melon slicing.  Don't cut yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment