Thursday, September 11, 2014

Nature vs. Nurture

We are entering in to that weird place of life where kids choose their own music, decorate their rooms as they see fit, wear what they want (within reason) and invite random neighborhood kids I've never seen before to join in their games. 
A few days ago, my kids were playing with one of the kids from down the street and they asked if she could come in to play. I said yes (because I had just cleaned the house, otherwise I would have banned her from the premises because I am just that vain).  It wasn't long before I heard the familiar percussion and guitar that precedes the undeniable voice of Mr. Mercury, himself . 
I was preparing supper and enjoying the laughter of the children.  I was oblivious to the world around me.  I was chopping broccoli to the beat and instinctively wailing along with Queen's 'Radio GaGa' as the new little friend of my kids walked into the kitchen with an inquisitive face. ("inquisitive" sounds better than "terrified") -but she came back the next day, so I didn't cause too much distress.

I am happy that my children (specifically, daughter, in this case) are appreciating the same trail blazing musicality that I cut my rock and roll teeth on.  They have so much music available to them, and yet, heredity (or the sheer beauty) drags them to choose Queen.  It just makes me proud, ok? Queen, if you did not know, offers answers that I might have had trouble articulating without them.
I found this quiz from several years ago, and it I think it will help you to understand me just a little bit more.  All answers are in the form of a song title.  All songs were recorded by Queen.

1. Are you male or female: white queen

2. Describe yourself: fat bottomed girls (they make the rockin world go round)
3. How do you feel about yourself:i'm going slightly mad

4. Describe an ex boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife: another one bites the dust

5. Describe your current boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife: somebody to love

6. Describe where you currently live: in the lap of the gods

7. If you could go anywhere, where would you go: i go crazy
8. Your best friend is: lily of the valley
9. Your favorite color is: my melancholy blues
10. You know that: the show must go on

11. What's the weather like: time to shine
12. If your life was a tv show, what would it be called:we are the champions

13. What is life to you: under pressure
14. What is the best advice you have to give: friends will be friends

15. If you could change your name, what would it be: the invisible man

16. Your favorite food is: coming soon

17. What you do for school / work: mother love

18. You wish you had: i want it all


This has long been one of my favorite pictures of my daughter. She was very young then, but it is perfect. She loves music. She is my best girl and I am amazed by her every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment