Friday, September 19, 2014

HOT DISH, Kinsey Charles



I remember the first time I saw Kinsey.  I had gone to Barnes and Noble to meet my brother, who was in college at the time.  He was there to study with a friend, and I just wanted a coffee, so it was a perfect place to catch up.  The "friend" was Kinsey.  She was fun and friendly and absolutely lovely.  I walked away wondering why my brother was crazy and why he wasn't dating this lady.
It wasn't long before they were a couple and totally perfect for each other.  Eventually, I went with my brother as he purchased the ring he would put on her finger and watched him excitedly prepare a meal (all by himself) and plan the proposal.  The rest is history and this amazing woman is now my sister. 
Kinsey is one of the most real and reasonable people I know.  She is kind and creative and quirky and I completely adore her.  She is 'mom' to Davie Lucille, who Kinsey describes as fabulously hilarious, weird, and intelligent.  (I concur.)
I like to talk about Kinsey and the songs she writes. Her lyrics tell about real life and her voice is smooth and silky.  She is uniquely transparent and shares her story beautifully.  Kinsey states that, "Mental illness runs in my family and has influenced my perspectives, socially and artistically." Because she so openly shares about the experiences in her life, people easily relate to her and embrace her as lyricist.  I find that I answer myself with her lyrics when I tend to be too harsh, I hear Kinsey's voice singing "they don't know what she's gone through lately, they don't know where she's been."  I am encouraged to see the good in people the way she does. I am challenged to look below the surface to see the things people don't always notice.
I know you will fall in love with her when you listen to her work here.


I asked Kinsey what she wants the world to know.  I leave you with her answer:
"When my daughter was learning to speak, it was amazing to see her level of frustration decrease as her vocabulary increased.  I think the same thing happens when we experience art.  Art has the power to heal parts of us that nothing else can reach, to connect with that vulnerable piece of hurt we are trying to hide, to give us a voice.  We realize our feelings and our beliefs when we are creating or experiencing someone else's artistic expression."

No comments:

Post a Comment