Thursday, September 18, 2014

bring home the bacon

I was eating bacon before bacon was cool.  I'm a trend setter that way. I eat bacon with breakfast. I think I'm the only one. I even eat bacon on BLTs.  You've not heard of that, have you? See. I'm turning the world on its ear.
I have served green beans cooked with bacon as long as I have served green beans.  That's the only way I knew green beans to be prepared: bacon, onion, green beans, seasoning. Boom. (but that took at least an hour to get them just like grandma's)
I had my eyes open to a new world of green beans with bacon 15 years ago.  I was eating dinner at my future in-laws' house and I was terrified.  My dad had drilled table manners in to the core of my being, so I knew how to sit and where to place my napkin and not to reach across the table.  Still, I know that I am not the most coordinated individual on the planet so anything could happen.  We ate some sort of meat that required being cut with a knife and fork (I don't remember what it was. I was barely breathing) and I was so shaky and scared that I passed my plate to my boyfriend (husband) and requested that he cut my meat for me.  I just imagined the screeching noise of my fork sliding across the plate when the meat turned loose, and I couldn't bear to be 'that girl'. Instead I avoided the gaze of the on-lookers seated around the table and proceeded to eat the now carefully cut meat in silence.  I typically do better in silence.  My filter gets a little dysfunctional and I say strange things that should not be repeated. Its awkward.
Back to the bacon.  And the beans.  On the table, sat these little piles of green beans wrapped neatly in bacon and they sort of looked like green bean sushi.  I like sushi, but sometimes its hard to know how to eat it. Do I pop the whole piece in my  mouth? OR Do I try to bite it in half whilst retaining the other portion artfully between two sticks?  I almost always pop the whole thing in my mouth and hope I don't look like a squirrel while I chew it.  On this day, I chose to cut the green beans. With just a fork, no knife.  They were perfect.  I found that they were to be referred to as "green bean bundles" and I found that I want to eat them every day.  Here's how I make 'em.  They're much faster than the cooked-in-a-skillet-with-bacon-and-onion-beans I have always been faithful to, and a fun little change.


Green Bean Bundles

4-6 servings
you need: a cookie sheet (cover it in foil or you will be sad) an oven set to broil

2 cans cut green beans, drained
1 lb bacon
garlic salt
black pepper
sugar

Lay out strips of bacon one at a time. Place a pile of green beans (10-12) one inch from the end of the bacon.  Fold the inch piece on top of the beans to sort of hold them in place.  Roll the bundled beans all the way down to the end of the strip making a tidy little grouping of bacon wrapped beans. (You can secure with a toothpick, but I don't generally take the time).  Continue with this process until you have used up all of the bacon and beans.  It should come out pretty evenly and there won't be very many beans, if any, left alone.  Sprinkle on garlic salt, black pepper, and a pinch or two of sugar and slide your tray in to the oven to await the crispy goodness.  12-15 minutes later, the bacon should be looking crispy and there will be grease running rampant.  That's good. Flip those bundles over and stick 'em back in for another 5 minutes or so.  This will keep you from eating squishy bacon. Nobody wants squishy bacon.
Super easy, super quick, and they keep well to be served with lunch the next day if you have some left over.

No comments:

Post a Comment