Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Tuesday Blues-day

Blue is for blueberry.  I found a great deal on blueberries this weekend, and I figured I should make use of those pretty little fellas.  When I first started cooking for people, I made these muffins a lot.  One day I made a batch and took them to my office to share.  I told a few people that there were blueberry muffins in the kitchen.  I guess they were expecting a boxed muffin mix, but this is so much better.  My dear friend came back to me and said, "what IS this? Its not just a regular muffin. what did you do?"  I laughed happily, thrilled that someone other than me recognized the extreme effort that was put forth to produce a delightful breakfast for the co-workers who make my life so fulfilling.  I sent her this recipe and I am very sure I changed her life.  I often prepare breakfast for our Board Members, and these muffins make an appearance each and every time.  I'm afraid there would be a revolt if I stopped making them.  Here. You try it. See what happens. 




Blueberry Muffins
what you need: muffin tin, stand mixer or hand mixer with a bowl, ice cream scoop (or spoon), 385 oven

3C flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
dash of salt
dash of nutmeg
1 egg
1 C sugar
1 C plain yogurt
1 pint blueberries

* topping- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. 

Mix the dry ingredients together.  Add egg, yogurt and sugar and mix only 10 seconds. Fold in blueberries mixing only a few seconds.  Spray a muffin tin with non stick spray.  Use an ice cream scoop and fill each cup. In a cup or small bowl, mix sugar and salt together to make the topping.  Sprinkle on top of the muffins before baking to add a lovely sugary-salty crunch. This totally sends these through the roof. 

"Why is there sauce on the muffin in the picture?", you ask. Well, I do that sometimes. Not when I'm taking them somewhere, that's just messy, but sometimes.  So this is how:

In small saucepan over medium-low heat, stir together 1 cup fresh blueberries, 1 teaspoon water, and 1 teaspoon sugar. The berries will pop and beautiful juices will start to thicken and look syrupy.  That's when you stir in 1/4 cup plain yogurt. Spoon some on your plate, on the muffin, in your mouth- whatever seems appropriate at the time.

PS I am eating one of these as I type this up.  I promise, this is perfect and the berries are so fantasticly fresh. I need a few more.

No comments:

Post a Comment