Thursday, September 25, 2014

put a lid on it

Christmas Eve a few years ago changed my kitchen drastically.  
When the gifts were distributed at my mom and dad's house, I had one questionable item in front of me.  It was heavy and sort of flat.  My kids were the age where they want to open all of the gifts, no matter who the gift was for. I didn't get to open this particular item, because my daughter beat me to it. With eyes sparkling and mouth ready to exclaim a squeal of delight, she pulled the paper off and ripped the box open.  Her mouth snapped shut, and the sparkle turned to a furrowed brow.  She said in a quizzical, maybe critical, tone, "you got a lid?"
I peeked over her shoulder and my eyes started to sparkle. I let out a squeal of delight and gushed my thank you.  Poor Gracie was totally confused.  (the whole pot was too heavy and big to wrap and place under the tree, hence a lid.  I did receive the rest separately. Just a lid doesn't do anybody any good.)


That was the day I received the most used pot in my kitchen: the enameled 5 quart cast iron from Cuisinart.  I truly use it at least 5 times a week. It holds a lot or a little. It cleans up easily.  It cooks evenly.  It weighs about 500 pounds. For those one-pot-wonder meals, this guy is perfect.  Soups are happy to mingle together there, and pot roasts move from the stove top to the oven with delight when they are cradled in this fella. You should get one. And you should cook goulash in it.  I did last night, and it was the perfect comfort food, easy clean up, one pot -- all of these things make me happy.

Goulash
what you need: the pot mentioned above (or any heavy stock pot) cutting board, sharp knife

1 lb lean ground beef
1 medium onion, diced
1 green bell pepper
2 (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
1 1/2 C elbow macaroni
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Brown the ground beef in your favorite pot over medium high heat. 
Add in all other ingredients and stir around so that all of the pasta gets friendly with the liquid. 
Top that baby with the lid and reduce the heat to medium.  Stir every 5 minutes or so. cook for 20-25 minutes, until the pasta is al dente. 

1 comment:

  1. Seriously! No one else can make receiving a pot sound so wonderful. Gonna try the goulash!

    ReplyDelete