Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Not bologna

Ok y'all.  I have this rule about eating at a restaurant: dont order somwthing you can cook just as well at home.  this has become sort of problematic, as I often try to replicate a dish if I like it a lot.  My list of available entrees is shrinking.  I looked for a good meat sauce for a long time. You know the feeling-- you want a good plate of spaghetti and you just can't seem to locate the best meat sauce. I found it. It in my kitchen. Side note: I was in Portland with some girlies last year and I ordered the bolognese. The server thought I ordered 'all of these' and she was possibly confused by my request.
I should speak more clearly.
There are so many flavors that work so beautifully in this dish.  Its impressive enough to serve to your in-laws, should the occasion arise.

Here's the recipe. It's big enough to serve twice for my family of four. Sometimes I use it on spaghetti and freeze the rest to make a lasagna another day.

You need- a big, heavy, stick pot, medium sized bowl



Bolognese
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 lb bacon, diced
1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground pork sausage
1 large onion diced
1 C carrots chopped
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried
1/4 teaspoon oregano, dried
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 (6oz) can tomato paste
1 C red wine
28oz crushed tomatoes (don't drain)
14oz tomato sauce
1C beef broth
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 C whole milk
4 Tablespoons butter
1 C Parmesan

Heat olive oil in the heavy pot over medium high heat. Brown te bacon about 5 minutes. Add in all of the fresh veggies, herbs and spices cook only one minute and remove from the heat and transfer to a separate bowl. Brown sausage and ground beef. Rinse and drain the grease leaving only meat in the pot. Lowering the heat to medium, begin adding wine, broth and tomatoes. Allow these to reach a simmer let the mixture thicken- keeping it on the heat at least 45 minutes, up to an hour and a half. Turn the heat off and stir in butter, milk and cheese. Serve over pasta or layer in lasagna.  Your house will smell glorious and your mouth will be watering.
Warning: folks have been known to want this sauce so badly that they fill their mouths way too full with meat sauce that way too hot and end up spewing more than bolognese out of their mouth while onlookers cover the ears of small children. Proceed with caution.

No comments:

Post a Comment