Friday, October 31, 2014

FALLing in love - French Onion Soup

Finally- the days are cooler and I feel good about telling you that you should eat soup.  I have some favorites, and this is one of them.  There's more to it than just the soup, this one is nostalgic.  There was only a handful of times that I cooked dinner for my grandparents. It was typically the other way around- their table was always ready for me. No matter what- announced or unannounced- because they were awesome and amazing and wonderful and there is no one else in the world like them.
Anyway- one night  I wanted to make dinner for them. I think I was about 22 or 23 years old, and pretty newly married and living in a teeny tiny little house (that I loved) with a teeny tiny kitchen where we sat cozily and ate our soup.  Grandpa wanted to bring roast beef sandwiches from Arby's and it was a perfect pairing. Now, every time I make French Onion Soup, I serve it alongside a roast beef sandwich.  As I mentioned, I was much younger when I started making this soup and not the accomplished chef (ha) that I am today. Its a simple recipe and now I can make it with my eyes closed. -which is good because onions make me cry and I cant see anyway.

(yes. my bowl is absurdly huge. don't judge)


French Onion Soup

what you need: big soup pot with a lid, sharp knife, cutting board, oven-safe soup bowls, cookie sheet

1 stick unsalted butter
6 onions, sliced into rings (or half moons, if you choose)
8 Cups Beef broth
2 cubes beef bullion
sliced French bread (one piece per bowl)
2-3 Cups shredded mozzarella

Melt the butter in the soup pot over medium high heat.  while the butter is melting, slice up your onions.  Drop the onions right on the melted butter and give them a little bit of a stir. Cover with a lid and let them sweat it out. When the onions are softened, about 8-10 minutes.  Pour in the beef broth and add bullion.  Cover and lower heat to medium and let the onions and broth get friendly for half an hour.  Slice your French bread (as many pieces as you have bowls) and toast them on a cookie sheet at about 400 degrees for 10 minutes or so - they need to be crunchy.  Place the toasted bread in the oven-safe soup bowls.  Pour, ladle, spoon or otherwise transfer the soup in to the bowls and top with mozzarella.  Place the cheese-topped soups on the cookie sheet and return to the oven just long enough to melt the cheese and make it impossible to scrub off of the sides of your bowls. Obviously, serve with a  roast beef sandwich. It doesn't have to be from Arby's, but I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment