Friday, October 3, 2014

HOT DISH Steven Charles



There’s this guy I know.  I’ve known him my whole life.  I haven’t always liked him very much.  When we were younger, we exchanged a lot of “I hate yous” as brothers and sisters are wont to do. (a glowing intro, yes?) 

My baby brother, Steven Charles is now one of my most trusted friends, mentors, advisors.  I had the privilege of living across the street from him for a few years, and I have never had a better neighbor.  He was a work-from-home-dad when I was a stay-at-home-mom and I am positive that he was exactly what I needed to survive those crazy years as mom of two toddlers.  He is strong and level headed and smart and simply amazing.   (Its clear that I’m not alone in feeling this way, as he was named one of Oklahoma City’s “Top 40 Under 40” last year.)  

On the homefront, Steven has been married to Kinsey Charles for ALMOST 10 years! -also a very proud daddy of a 6 year old creative and brilliant girl named Davie.


When we discussed his hobbies, he happily included “sock dodgeball in the living room with my daughter Davie,” among the other more expected hobbies of rock climbing, cycling, golf and guitar strumming.  (notice dancing was not included. )

In the professional world, Steven’s capacity to be creative and focused as well as direct and sensitive make him an amazing leader as Executive Director of Rocktown Youth Mentoring.  Regarding his job, Steven says, “I have a great job serving youth. The company I work for provides youth with mentoring and adventure. I am lucky enough to have a job I love that I hope makes the world a better place.”

Someone asked me recently, “How do you get a kid to understand their actions and think through the consequences?”  My quick and easy (honest) answer, “Call Steven.”  He is so patient with kids and has a way of teaching them their full potential without them even knowing that they are being taught.  

Lots of kids out there need positive people in their lives.  The program at Rocktown is a great place for them.  I encourage you to learn more. Do more.  And then, go take a hike.  Go climb a rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment