Thursday, October 16, 2014

Glam Squad: Puppet on a String

As promised earlier in the week, I am bringing you a more feminine version of the ventriloquist dummy - actually this one looks more like a marionette to me, but whatever.  Here's a little story for ya: I was working on the hair and makeup for this look and my kids were down the street playing.  I knew where they were, but it was getting dark outside.  I waited a little while (in full makeup, a cutesy top, lovely sweat pants with smudges of paint on them, and fuzzy socks because my husband thinks our house is an igloo) hoping that they would just show up.  It was only getting darker, as nights tend to do, and I had no choice but to go get them.  I'm not so lazy that I would typically drive down to the end of the street to get them, but this time I did. (for obvious wardrobe reasons)
I was so concerned that someone might see me, that I was a very distracted driver and I almost ran in to the car coming down the street as I backed out of my driveway. --as an aside: my car has a back-up alarm, so that's embarrassing, but it also automatically gives me the right of way at all times, so I feel that the other driver was clearly at fault. --
I got the kids. I went home. No major crisis. (whew.)  Ok here's the look...



Marionette face, what you need:

 foundation, foundation brush, darker than usual blush, blush brush, translucent powder, powder brush, pink eye shadow, brown eye liner, red lipstick, very.long.lashes., lash glue, 1/2 inch curling iron (if you want ringlets)

Apply foundation with a foundation brush- I use a brush here because I like it to be fairly heavy and a sponge tends to wipe off a lot. cover your whole face including lips with heavy foundation, then apply heavy blush in circles on the apples of your cheeks.  Dust some powder on to set that part and move to the brown eye liner. Use the eye liner to draw the hinge on your mouth and the lines down your nose.  Also draw eyebrows that have a rounded look as opposed to a more defined arch. Apply pink eye shadow all over your lid to just below your brow bone.  Glue on the biggest eyelashes you can find. Add some liner under your eyes and for more drama glue some lashes to your lower lash line, too. Your lips should be the same color as your face until you draw on your puppet lips. Make them smaller than your actual lips, but make sure that your lines match up from top to bottom or you will look weird.  For the hair, take small (1/4 inch) sections of hair and curl tightly with a 1/2 inch curling iron.  I have a lot of hair, so this is actually only about a third of my hair, the rest of it is pulled back in a bun, which works for photography purposes, but you may want to curl all of your hair if you are going out like this. Also, you will want to wear something other than fuzzy socks and sweat pants. 
Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment