Tuesday, October 21, 2014

FALLing in love

There are lots of things I love about fall. Knowing me the way you do, you are expecting me to say "the food."  Good. You're right. Partly. There's also the hoodies and the football and the parties and the leaves and the mums and the pumpkins and the crisp chill in the air-- all of those things make me love fall.  I can't make you enjoy fall, but I can help you eat well and make fun food for parties. That's my job, as I see it, and I take it very seriously.
My husband's aunt is one of the most creative and talented people I know.  She makes these INSANE caramel dipped apples with all sorts of things on them - nuts, chocolate, candy, beautiful wrapping--- and they are stunning.  One year, she made apples and pears.  So I did it- I tried a pear. Ok. I like a caramel apple as much as the next girl, but these pears are heaven. Its ridiculous how fancy they seem when compared to a silly little granny smith. The process is the same - you can be ornate like Aunt Penny, or you can me super simple. Either way, these are going to change your life and the lives of those you serve them to.
 
Caramel Dipped Pears
What you need: Medium sized sauce pan, cooling rack, cookie sheet, spoon
 
1 bag (14 oz) caramels

4 pears
2 teaspoons water
sea salt for dusting

Unwrap all of your little caramel squares and put them in a sauce pan over medium heat along with 2 teaspoons of water.  Be patient, the melting takes a little while. Make sure to stir often so the caramel doesn't burn to the pan. That's not delicious. Wash your pears and make sure they are dry and room temperature before you start the dipping. Holding the pear by the stem, set it in the sauce pan, but don't let go. With your other hand, spoon caramel from the top and let it run down the sides until the pear is covered nicely.  Place the pear on a cooling rack with a cookie sheet under it to catch drippy caramel. Repeat with the remaining pears, dust with sea salt-- because salted caramel makes the world go 'round.  If you want to add toffee (YES!) or chocolate (Hallelujah!) or nuts (swoon!)
do that now. Melt your chocolate over a double boiler, though, don't burn it. That is not delicious, either.  Serve these to you friends, neighbors, teachers - serve them at parties, at work, at bar mitzvahs. They make people happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment